He not only came back to say thanks, he sat with them to watch a hockey game.

Tim Bozon, the Western Hockey League player who was treated for meningitis at Royal University Hospital last spring, came back to the hospital on October 20 to say thank you to the staff who cared for him during his very serious illness. And he came with hockey tickets in hand, courtesy of the Saskatoon Blades.

“It was important to come back and see the people that helped me when I was at the hospital,” Bozon told reporters at the hospital during his visit. “Knowing I was coming back to Saskatoon, it was something I felt I needed to do. It was something I will never forget and I wanted to thank them one more time for what they did for me and for my family.”

He presented RUH staff members with tickets to the Saskatoon Blades game against the Kootenay Ice on October 22. They attended, and after Bozon performed the ceremonial puck drop alongside neurologist Dr. Gary Hunter, he sat with the staff in the stands, as he was unable to play that night due to a lower body injury.

Tim Bozon performs an official puck drop.

Tim Bozon (centre) drops the puck at the Western Hockey League game between the Kootenay Ice and Saskatoon Blades on October 22. Bozon, a forward with the Ice, survived a bout with meningitis while in Saskatoon last spring. Photos courtesy the Saskatoon Blades.

Saskatoon Health Region employees watch a hockey game from the stands.

At the Saskatoon Blades-Kootenay Ice game on October 22, Ice forward Tim Bozon (right) sits with the health care workers from Saskatoon Health Region who helped care for him while he was in Royal University Hospital, fighting meningitis last spring. The Blades helped Bozon thank those Saskatoon Health Region employees for their care by supplying them with tickets to the game.

Bozon, then and now a forward with the Kootenay Ice, was diagnosed with Neisseria meningitis on March 1 after playing a WHL game in Saskatoon. He was in hospital for nearly the entire month of March, some of that time in critical condition as he fought off the sometimes-deadly infection.

He believes he is now fully recovered, though he said he still has problems with his memory.

“I did really intense training for five to six months every day, twice a day,” he told reporters. “It’s been tough but I had to do it if I ever wanted to play hockey again.”